Tanqueray Tuesday Surf & Culture Report

Lost Boys & Co...

Yes, Virginia, there are mountains out there!  And because of our latest weather, they also happen to be covered with snow.  How cool!  Well, actually, how absolutely frigid...

A beautiful cloudless morning with 25 miles visibility.  Winds are offshore by 6.5kts and the sea surface is smooth.  The air temperature at checkout was a chilly 45.5° and the water seemed warm by comparison at 59.0°.  Low tide was at 8:27am +2.4' and high tide will be at 1:54pm +4.3'  Out of the WSW (250°) we have a 6.9' swell raking the west facing beaches.  There were some spectacular waves and some great rides - IF - you happened to be in the right place.  It was in the 5' to 7' range at Topaz and Sapphire was going off as well...  If the wind holds off before the next storm, tomorrow could be a good day as well...  check it out!

From:  GiGi (ATFYNTK)...   Re:  Last Days in Tucson

  Friday in Tucson .

Another beautiful, sunny day; the sky is cloudless.  Today shift change was a bit more subdued.  The mood on the floor hums with quiet reverence.  Staff are speaking in hushed tones.  The promise of the weekend grows.

Now to practical matters.  In under an hour, staff from Peppi's House, a hospice facility, will be joining us to discuss a move to their house.  When I first heard the name of the hospice, I thought it was Pepe's House.  Then I discovered it was Peppi.  So either Peppi is short for something interesting, or the founder is Peppi, who just may be peppy. Time will tell...

It's the small things that give me pause to laugh or cry.  As I was packing my bags in anticipation of the move today, I found in one of my suitcase's zippy compartments an extra change of undergarments, top and bottom!  Yee Haw!!  And in the patient coffee/juice bar, I found in the cupboard a personal serving of Cherrios, complete with its own plastic bowl!!  Another Yee Haw!

Yesterday after lunch I wandered outside for a walk.  I was in search of a Target-type store within walking distance of the hospital.  Down the way I found a little strip mall with a Hallmark shop.  The clerk told me where to walk in the general direction of a Walgreens:  "Just go to the road and keep wandering east."  So I followed her instructions and kept wandering and wandering and wandering and found there was no way out of the growing number of medical buildings that continued down this street.  Thank goodness I didn't make any turns, for surely I would have gotten lost.  I turned around and made my way back to the strip mall. 

Something attracted my attention.  I was a trout, and there was a shiny fishing lure ahead of me.  Closer and closer, closer and closer.  I shyly peered in a doorway and tentatively stepped in.  All around me were little bottles filled with a rainbow of colors, some like pearls, some like wonderful, bright jewels.  A small woman waved at me to enter.  We smiled at each other, and she led me to a soft chair.  "What color do you like?"  I pointed to a vibrant pink bottle.  "Oh, this is nice," she said.  I sat in the chair, she pushed a button, and then the rolling massage began as she filled the basin at my feet with warm water. 

The small things in our lives do the most to shape us.  Our small actions tell the world who we are.  And today I will ask myself who I am.  I hope the answer reflects a good truth.

Thank you all for journeying with me.   I feel your love and good thoughts all these days.  You are all in my prayers. 

 

**********************

Saturday in Tucson

 

This morning I awoke unusually early, about 5:30 a.m. Tucson time, 4:30 a.m. California time.

I greeted Mutti, checked to see if she was warm enough, and then began my day, stripping down the little sofa bed on which I pretty comfortably slept last night.  Her breathing seemed to be very shallow as I continued folding blankets and sheets, all the while reciting my commentary.  I brushed my teeth so as not to offend anyone when I left the room so the nurses could reposition Mutti.  While waiting for the staff, I spoke in her ear, telling her that Erica was with her and would be here all day; that I was here, too, and would be here all day.  As I was holding her hand and talking, her breathing became more shallow.  There were a few times where she didn't seem to be breathing at all.  Her hands were still warm as I stroked and caressed them.  I moved to the other side of the bed so her face would be toward me, and I continued my litany of who was with her, who was waiting for her on the other side of the river.  I recited the names, calling out what each would have with them when she reached them:  My dad is young and beautiful, holding a cold Bohemian beer just for her; her brother awaits with some wurst and brot, maybe he will have a beer for her, too;  her mother and father hold open their arms to be reunited with their favorite daughter; her two sons are so excited to be with their mother again, they can hardly stand it.  And in the middle of this group of loved ones, those she know and so very many whom she doesn't know, is her God, calling her back for an eternity of freedom from pain, freedom from struggles.  The beautiful, clear waters of the river beckoned Centa to jump in and cross to the other side.  And that she did at 6:00 this morning, oh so peacefully and wonderfully.  Were your last tears shed for love of this life, for love of those you leave behind?  Were they tears of euphoric anticipation?  My tears are those of sadness, of sadness for the loss of my mother, of sadness for all the struggles of her live.  Cry with me for the passing of my mother, as I cry with you as you mourn the loss of your loved ones who have gone before those of us who still live and breathe.  Our prayers join us together, our grief unites us.  We are thankful for what you all have taught us.  We miss you.  You are alive in our hearts.


Finally, our second photo is of a palm tree in the Riviera, that just had enough of the wind and decided to lie down and take a rest.  No word on whether it has righted itself by this afternoon...


"When the surf breaks, we'll fix it..."

 The Professor!!

 

 

 





Popular posts from this blog

Duke Of Wellington Wednesday Surf & Culture Report

Wasting Away In Margariitaville Saturday Surf & Culture Report

Not Forest Hills Friday Surf & Culture Report